CERTIFIED NURSE ASSISTANT
- Taking vitals (blood-pressure, pulse, temperature, and respiration) according to protocol (established procedures).
- Measuring statistics. Recording intake and output, height, and weight.
- Helping patients with ADLs (activities of daily living) for which they need assistance, such asbathing, combing hair, brushing teeth, shaving, putting on stockings and/or slippers, dressing,ambulation, and toileting.
- Helping patients with equipment for their treatment such as anti-embolism stockings, bladderscanner, intermittent pneumatic compression (IPC) devices, etc., as well as helping patients to move, transfer from bed to chair, or transporting them to other departments for testing or treatment.Infection control.
- Every medical employee is responsible for infection control, but because of the constant contact the CNA has with patients, it is critical for the CNA to know and follow the proper protocol in avoiding the spread of germs and spores which transport disease.
- Observation and reporting. Observing the patient and surroundings assists the nurse to assess the progress of the patient as well as any needs the patient might have for medical intervention.
- The certified nursing assistant will also observe and remove any potential hazards which could cause accidents.
- Ensuring that the patient is comfortable is also ensuring they are properly cared for. This includes such tasks as keeping the bed dry and comfortable, ensuring the patient’s tray table and call mechanism is within reach; asking them if there is anything they need, whether they are too cool or too warm, and assessing the patient’s privacy needs and tending to them in the appropriate manner.
- Empathy is an important trait of the nursing assistant. The certified nursing aide must be able to imagine his or herself in the patient’s position and to consider what would take to make the patient more comfortable.
- Legible copy of your Driver’s License or State ID.
- Social Security Card
- Copy of TB/PPD or chest X-ray
- CPR card
- Copy Registration/License/Certification or number